Spread a Smile brings joy and hope to sick children in hospitals, clinical settings, hospices and homes across the UK. Through in-person and virtual visits, our renowned entertainers – from magicians to face-painters, musicians to therapy dogs – generate moments of distraction and excitement, helping young patients and their families to face their significant health challenges with optimism and positivity.
Since our founding in 2013, we have built a reputation for developing bespoke relationships with each family and each health setting, so that we can offer the most meaningful, impactful support. We complement our main work with art initiatives, family outings and seasonal celebration events.
In 2022-23, we will support 6,000 children across the UK, and deliver over 6,000 in-person bedside visits and 2,000 virtual visits, in partnership with 30 hospitals – an increase of over 200% since the start of COVID-19 due to extraordinary demand.
Our core services include:
Entertainer visits – scheduled face to face and virtual hospital visits to children under the care of all our hospital partners from our team of professional entertainers including play specialists, artists, magicians, musicians, poets and therapy dogs.
Outings and Events – an extended programme of family-focused theatre trips and physical and virtual family, sibling and teenage events plus regular treat drops across all our hospital partners.
Art Initiatives – Enriching Spaces creates colourful murals on hospital wards and windows to make the hospital environment a more welcoming place for young patients and their families. Our hand-painted, bespoke masks and moulds support young patients undergoing radiotherapy treatment.
- Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH), WCI
- University College Hospital (UCLH), Euston
- The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel
- St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington
- The Evelina Children’s Hospital, Westminster
- The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore
- King’s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, Brixton
- The Royal Brompton Hospital, Chelsea
- St George’s Hospital, Tooting
- Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice, Barnet
- The Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton
- Whittington Hospital, Highgate
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, SW10
- North Middlesex University Hospital
- Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow
NHS South East
- Southampton Children’s Hospital
- Demelza Hospice
- Nottingham Children’s Hospital
- Leicester Children’s Hospital
NHS South West
- Bristol Royal Hospital for Children
NHS East of England
- Addenbrookes Children’s Hospital, Cambridge
NHS North West
- Christie Hospital, Manchester